This is our happy ever after.

Monday, March 25, 2013

30 years old

The weekend I turned 30 was Epic. Eric told me for weeks that he had a surprise for me. I asked him if we were going out of town. He said yes, sooooo I packed a bag and we were off to the airport. Eric had to tell a few white lies to keep the surprise quiet but it was worth it. We drove up to departures and Cindy (my twin sister) comes towards our car and I immediately thought, "There’s a crazy woman with a baby trying to get run over by being in the parking lot." Well, that crazy lady turned out to be a great surprise. I was pretty dumbfounded and told Eric that we need to go to a restaurant to sit down so I could process not going on a trip and that Cindy and her family is here. I then start making plans of my own by telling Eric we need to get a hotel in Portland and go shopping and make the most of our time together. Everyone kept telling me that didn't need to happen that plans are already made for that night. Eric has me call my friend who lives in Salem (Melissa) to find out what the plan is for the night. Again more lies! I was told to go home and put on 80s clothes because we are going 80s bowling with the girls. Okay, let's do it. We headed back and waited for Melissa to come pick us up. I found out later that the pictures we took at my house were a staling technique. Eric and Andy (Cindy's husband) take the kids to the Souther's house and were going to "hang out" while we had our ladies night. I thought that was weird, but okay. Melissa picks us up and we head to go "pick up" Robyn at her house. We get there and since I felt like we were being so slow I volunteered to go get Robyn. The gals said, "Don't worry we’ll just go together to show her our outfits." So I walk into Robyn's house and there are flashed of lights. I'm confused cause I see Jared Hale hiding with a cell phone pointed at me and then everyone jumps out and yells surprise! It was awesome. I had NO IDEA. The place looked amazing. My favorite colors and foods. It was gorgeous. Melissa, Robyn, and Lydia must have worked on it for soooo long. We had salad, soup, sparkling strawberry lemonade, and chicken cordon blue. YUM! We eat and visited for a while then took group pictures. It was all my favorite people from our ward under one roof dress ridiculously--I loved it. I then figured out why I was band from going downstairs. As we walked downstairs there was neon signs with 80s jargon on them. Downstairs was a dance floor with a disco ball and neon lighting bolts on the ceiling. The 80 music was going and 80s just dance was on the Wii. The best part was just about everyone dancing to Thriller. In the next room Pac-man cartoons were hanging from the ceiling (personal favorite). There was even a splatter paint backdrop for pictures set-up. Then a bar of 80s candy was displayed with crazy toys from the 80s (rubics cubes, slinkies, etc.) The candy had everything from our childhood including: big League Chew, bottle caps, poprocks, razzles, SunnyD, etc. We had sparkler candles on cakes which made it almost impossible to blowout. I love cheesecake so that was perfect. So Friday was amazing and the fun just kept going. Saturday would have been Taylor's 2nd birthday and Eric knew how hard this day could be for me, so he did everything he possibly could to make it an easy day. He went and got balloons for us to release at the cemetery. He had us there by 8:30. We sang her Happy Birthday and released the balloons. When we arrived there was already a balloon and flowers there with a note from the Freemans. It was so sweet. Cindy brought a pair of white tennis shoes for Taylor and she hadn't even known that those same shoes were on the headstone. I found out later that day that Nadine, Averyl Sealy, and Jan Baumgartner had gone out to the gravesite with flowers for her. Amazing women. Eric then took us out to breakfast (another staling technique I realize now) and then dropped Cindy and I off for a day at the spa. Full body massage, facials, manicure, pedicure, private lunch, hair wash and style, and makeup application. WOW. Then what did he have in store but us going to the multi-stake dance as chaperone (which really means just dancing and having a good time). Eric knows that I love to dance and even though I know very few songs that are popular now I was carded (dance-carded) there and that made me feel good. I really thought that the weekend was done with surprises and yet one more was yet to come. A movie was put together by the Carleski family of many families letting balloons go and wishing Taylor a happy birthday. We were so moved. We watched it over and over again and cried (happy tears, grateful tears) for those who are truly Christ like friends. Eric read a poem he wrote about Cindy and I: 10 years ago I met the twins A day I know for sure Cindy sat down on my lap And I slid to the floor The next day was filled with fun In the swimming pool this time A game of water polo with the twin Who'd eventually be mine 6 weeks later I asked Nicole If she would be my wife And thankfully she said yes And it's been a wonderful life Then came the wedding reception And the twins they traded places Then Cindy's boyfriend came and kissed her You should have seen folks faces Of course I knew what they had done For all of us were laughin And everyone of us is glad That Cindy found Andy Rafn The Eichelbergers as they were Are two terrific women I'm just glad one sat on my lap And with the other I went swimming So for my favorite set of twins Most beautiful and flirty We celebrate this day with you The day you both turn 29 again

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Happy Birthday! SOunds Amazing! I hope you got pictures or a video of everyone doing thriller :)